Sunday 15 October 2017

5 questions on Muscle Memory with Debbie Moon

1. Would you call Muscle Memory a body horror story?

1)Yes, I think body horror is probably the most appropriate term. But all horror comes down to bodies in the end, doesn’t it? How vulnerable they are, how they betray us, how they can be changed into monstrous things we don’t recognize. This was a fun opportunity to look at how the body and the mind interact, which is still mysterious and a little scary to most of us…

2. Have you ever had a massage which brought back forgotten memories?

2) You know what? I’ve never had a professional massage. I feel like I should now! But having read the article that inspired the story - on how massage therapy interacts with memory loss in war veterans and others with PTSD -  I now feel a bit nervous about what it might unearth!

3. As writers we're usually reserved and modest, but here's an opportunity to throw off those shackles and reveal your favourite line of dialogue from muscle memory?

3) Boasting? How very un-British! The final line is fun – always love a good twist – but I also like the “You’re the car crash” line. The way it reduces a complex person to one event in their life - right before we use that one event to open up a very complex life indeed…

4. With writing for an anthology you didn't have to match existing character voices, but what holds Twisted Showcase together is probably it's tone. Did you worry about making it fit with the show, or look at certain episodes for a guide?

4) Obviously, I was familiar with Twisted Showcase and the kinds of stories it tells, but I don’t think I thought too much about matching the tone. I just felt this was the right kind of story for the anthology, and the tone took care of itself…

5. What do you think is the scariest aspect of your episode? And I'll sneak in another question - what are you most proud of about it?

5) I suppose the scariest idea is the idea that everything we’ve ever done – even the things we’ve forgotten – is written in our minds and in our bodies somewhere. There’s no escape from memories, even if they seem to be erased. That feels like a classic horror idea to me…
         And what am I proudest of? I think, fitting a full story into a short running time! I’m used to having a few more pages than this to play with!




No comments:

Post a Comment