Saturday 31 January 2015

5 star films - January 2015

This is the first in what I hope will be a series of monthly blog posts where I name films I've rated 5 stars within that month.

Couple of things to bare in mind, this is just my personal opinion, what I thought of the film as I watched it on this occasion. It could change on a rewatch, some ties I could be watching with an analytical eye, other times I might be a few drinks into the evening.

Also it might not be the most relevant list, currently I don't go to the cinema that often, I haven't seen many of the awards films currently out at the cinema, in fact the only new release I've seen out in January has been Big Hero 6, and that didn't get 5 stars.

But, I have watched 31 films in January, so there is plenty of choice and maybe there might be something among these monthly recommendations that you fancy seeing, a reminder of something you've always wanted to see, or something you've never heard of.

This list is just as much for my memory though as for you. Onwards to January 2015's 5 star film

TOGETHER -Lukas Moodysson's 2nd feature is beautifully honest and uplifting in a strange way. I'm not sure why I find this uplifting, there's plenty of depression and constant arguing, but as people bond over a football match no one could really care about, the fun and joy shines through. Great believable characters make this one of Moodysson's best. Am currently working my way through his back catalogue so expect more to appear here, if he can reach 5 stars again.

THE ROVER - Another 2nd feature, this one from David Michod. I loved Animal Kingdom, but hadn't heard positive things about this one. I loved it's simplicity in narrative which focused you on character motivation and used the strange dessicated landscape and futuristic world as background. Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson have both never been better, but the soundtrack is the stand out, phenomenal.

THE BROKEN CIRCLE BREAKDOWN - I saw this not knowing much about it, I heard it featured plenty of bluegrass music, so my interest was piqued. I didn't expect the emotional maelstrom I was going to be put through. So intense I think i worked up a sweat and my hand hurt afterwards from gripping the chair. The blue grass works as moments of levity away from the story, but aren't separate from it, they weave in well. Structurally it is similar to Blue Valentine but with a wider scope of interest in the themes it explores.

THE MASTER - I'm a huge P.T Anderson fan and wasn't disappointed in this, another change of style and time period in a film where every second could be paused and framed, the performances are some of the best committed to film that show a complex relationship that gives you plenty to chew on.

4 films receive the 5 star treatment this month, out of 31. Come back for more end of February

No comments:

Post a Comment